Preterm Labor & Hospital Bedrest

Apparently, the internet at the hospital blocks blogging websites [to an extent at least] and I have a total of 60 minutes of “Quota Time” that I can use in 10 minute increments to access the site.  In other words, I’m not sure how much I’ll be posting on here until I’m back home [hopefully soon].

Here’s the short story:  I’ve been having braxton hicks contractions all week, some of which I could time and they’d be as close as 3 minutes apart.  Lots more back pain, pressure and just not feeling too great.  I called my doctor this morning and they wanted me to come in.  (I honestly thought that they’d either a: tell me the contractions aren’t doing anything and to come back if they got worse or b: send me home on bedrest.)  No such luck.

I’m dilated almost 1 cm and they also did a fetal fibronectin (sp? I’d look it up, but my 10 minutes is running out) – which came out positive.  This test is to detect hormones that my body releases when it’s preparing for labor, so the fact the it was positive means I’m very likely to go into labor within 2 weeks. 

I’ve had 3 4 shots of something that starts with a B (same thing at terbutaline).  It makes my heart race, hands shake, but stops the contractions for a while.  I have had one of two steriod shots to help mature Irelyn’s lungs in case she doesn’t want to wait.  I’m taking procardia every 6 hours to try to keep the contractions from changing my cervix more.  We’ll see how it goes.

So now, here I sit.  13 hours into bed rest and I could already pull my hair out.  Thankfully, my stepmom, sister & a friend came to visit and my aunt brought me stuff I needed from home [my pillow and chocolate chip cookies 🙂 ].  I’m stuck here for at least a few days (although the contractions I’ve been having 3 minutes apart for the past 10 minutes might mean I’m here longer…), but hopefully I’ll get to go home on bedrest this weekend.  I’ve still got to move to the new apartment next week and get Irelyn’s room set up!

My doctor will be in tomorrow morning, so I’m hoping I’ll find out what the plan is then…besides doing everything to keep Irelyn in for 2 more weeks.

Well…the nurse is here to give me shot #4 of the wonderful stuff that’ll make my heart race.  I’m going to have a heart-to-heart with my daughter about her plans for the next couple weeks.


UPDATE AT 2:30am:
The 4th shot of Brethine (googled it!) didn’t stop my contractions like it had been.  They were every 3 minutes for quite a while…the nurse checked me and I’m almost 2 cm now.  My procardia has been moved up to every 4 hours and I’m still getting lots of fluids.  I’m hoping Zach is able to get online sometime soon so I can give him more of an update than emails – the last time I talked to him was a couple hours after getting admitted.  Our little monster is showing how stubborn she is & we may ended up meeting her sooner than planned whether we like it or not.  On the plus side, Irelyn has been doing great through everything!  Her heartrate is perfect even through the contractions, so I’m thankful I don’t need to be worrying about her 🙂


2 thoughts on “Preterm Labor & Hospital Bedrest

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s