If you’ve never heard of baby led weaning (aka: BLW; introduction of solid foods), go here. It’s really simple and has worked so well for our family. Basically, Camryn eats whatever we eat (within reason). If she eats everything I give her or nothing it all, it’s up to her. We don’t spoon-feed (check out the picture below for her reaction to mushy bananas on a spoon!) and we don’t put food in her mouth. I simply give her easy to hold and chew foods and let her decide how much she wants. It has been amazing to watch her learn so quickly – her pincer grasp is very advanced for her age, she chews very efficiently and has only gagged a couple of times. I was pretty nervous about the gagging/choking aspect of BLW, but after watching a few videos on YouTube that show the difference it has gotten easier to let her learn what she can handle on her own.
We began BLW at 6 months and this is a list of just some of the foods she’s eaten:
- whole wheat toast
- brown rice
- pasta with tomato sauce
- green beans
- cottage cheese
- oatmeal fingers (will post recipe soon!)
Our pediatrician advised us to wait to introduce eggs because of Irelyn’s egg allergy and we’ve also noticed that Camryn’s eczema worsens after eating any dairy – so we’ve eliminated dairy from her diet for now (Irelyn outgrew her dairy allergy/sensitivity by about 18 months so we’re hoping for the same with Camryn). Now that she’s gotten the hang of BLW, I’ve started trying different recipes that I’ve found online. There is a Carrot & Bean Cakes recipe below that Cami loves! I’ll post more BLW recipes as we try them out.
This was her reaction to mushy bananas that I spoon-fed her…
…and this is her 1st BLW experience!
And here are a few other pictures from the past 7 weeks of BLW.
Clearly, it’s very messy. But you can also tell by all the smiles that she absolutely loves it!
Carrot & Bean Cakes
1/2 cup cooked, mashed carrot
1 cup white beans, mashed well
1 garlic clove, crushed
4 tbsp flour (I had to use a couple tbsp more than this to form patties)
Mix the carrot puree with the mashed beans, garlic and flour.
Form the mixture into little patties with your hands – if the mixture is too moist, add a little more flour.
Heat a little olive oil in a frying pan/skillet.
Fry the patties for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until golden.
Serve with applesauce for dipping!
I found the recipe here: http://www.homemade-baby-food-recipes.com/baby-led-weaning-recipes.html#ixzz388SJMiMj
Here is Cami enjoying her carrot and bean cakes this morning!
Almost one year has passed since my last post (again). Sure makes time fly by, doesn’t it? In all honesty, when evening arrives and all three kids are sleeping, I have two choices: relax on the couch and indulge in an entire bag of popcorn while watching The Bachelorette or blog. Obviously, it’s pretty clear where my priorities are. 😉
Quick update of the past 10 months:
- Camryn Elisabeth Ruth was born December 1, 2013 (10 days before her due date, just like her sister)
I am planning on writing her water birth story sometime soon!
- Kaden turned 5 years old and had a Hot Wheels themed party. He also graduated preschool!
- Irelyn turned 2 years old and had an Elmo themed party.
- Camryn is now 6 1/2 months and we’ve started baby led weaning. I’ll write about that later.
Besides having a new baby, life has been normal over this past year. I’ll try to write more regularly. Probably after this season of The Bachelorette is over.
The past few weeks have been a little crazy (which is why I haven’t posted in well over a month…)! I have tons of pictures I could post, but it’s 6:55am right now, the kids and hubby are sleeping and I’m trying to enjoy every last second before the little monsters wake up…so I’ll do a little updating now and a picture post later. 🙂
Here are some things that have happened in the past month:
- Zach’s Welcome Home party (I forgot the camera…but I do have one picture below!)
- My family reunion (I forgot the camera for this, too)
- Zach’s family reunion will be this Saturday (I’ll try to remember the camera this time!)
- We’ve started cloth diapering almost full time (I haven’t found the right inserts to try a cloth diaper at night yet)
- Irelyn had her 4 month appointment (she was 14 lb 9 oz, 25 inches long and is growing perfectly!)
- Made it to 5 months of exclusive breastfeeding 🙂 (I tried some dairy a couple of weeks ago to see if she’s still sensitive to it…she is.)
- Kaden spent a week at his dad’s house while Zach & I were house-sitting for my aunt
- Irelyn learned to roll from back to belly (she’s been going from belly to back), has been learning to sit and has attempted to crawl twice!
- Zach went to Columbus this past Tuesday to take his exam for the Ohio State Highway Patrol (he passed!) We should know if he got accepted into the academy in a few weeks 🙂
- Irelyn had her 1st taste of solid food [this morning! – video below]
We are trying baby led weaning with Irelyn. Basically, we’ll be skipping cereal & purees, starting with simple foods such as avocado, bananas, peaches, broccoli, etc and allowing her to feed herself. The idea behind it is that she’ll learn to chew before swallowing (which will help her to only ingest solids as she is actually ready for them), it is supposed to help her be less picky towards the texture (with a 3 year old that would only eat mac-n-cheese and popsicles if I let him, I love this), plus I don’t have to spend time pureeing and storing foods for her, she’ll just eat what we eat!
We tried avocado today. She was so excited when we put it on the tray and she licked it for a few minutes – I don’t think she actually managed to swallow any though.
Obviously, Kaden was narrating the entire event…I’ll only bore you with a little over a minute of it. [please ignore my messy house]
And here is the one and only picture I have from Zach’s party.
I’ll post more pictures as soon as I have some “free” time to edit them! 🙂