Zach saw this recipe on facebook and asked me to make it. It was very easy and tasted SO good. We paired this slightly spicy casserole with a cool cucumber salad.
Loaded Potato & Buffalo Chicken Casserole
2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
8 -10 medium potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/3 cup olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon fresh ground pepper
1 tablespoon paprika
2 tablespoons garlic powder
6 tablespoons hot sauce (I didn’t add hot sauce because of the kids, I added it to my plate)
2 cups fiesta Mexican blend cheese
1 cup crumbled cooked bacon
1 cup diced green onion
- Preheat oven to 500°F .
- In a large bowl mix together the olive oil, hot sauce, salt, pepper, garlic powder & paprika.
- Add the potatoes and stir to coat.
- Add the potatoes to a greased baking dish. (the greased part is important – I forgot to grease my dish!)
- When scooping the potatoes into the baking dish, leave behind any extra olive oil/hot sauce mix. (I had to mix more oil/spices because I didn’t use hot sauce)
- Add the diced chicken to the remaining olive oil/hot sauce mix and stir to coat all the chicken. Allow to marinate as the potatoes bake.
- Roast the potatoes for 45-50 minutes, stirring every 10-15 minutes, until cooked through and nice and crispy on the outside.
- Once the potatoes are fully cooked, remove from the oven and lower the oven temperature to 400°F.
- Add the marinated chicken on top of the potatoes. (SEE NOTE BELOW)
- In a large bowl mix all the topping ingredients together.
- Top the raw chicken with the topping.
- Bake 15 minutes or until until the chicken is cooked through and the topping is melted and bubbly delicious.
- Serve with extra hot sauce and/or ranch dressing.
NOTE: I was in a hurry to get dinner on the table before bathtime, so I cooked the diced chicken on the stove while the potatoes were in the oven. It only took 7-8 minutes to melt the toppings after adding the cooked chicken. Several comments on the recipes I looked at for this did say that cooking their chicken at 400°F dried it out a bit.
This casserole was simple and my entire family loved it – I’ll definitely be making this again.